The Johnson Paint Company was established in 1939 by John A. Johnson the summer after his graduation from Harvard University, at its then not-so-fashionable Newbury Street location. Johnson Paint has since evolved into a third generation family-owned business with eight stores in three states. Our flagship store is still at its original Newbury Street address, and is the oldest retail establishment on this upscale shopping avenue.
Originally known for our inventory of hard-to-find products, such as Dutch kalsomine, powdered pigments and aniline dyes, Johnson's has earned its reputation as New England's most complete paint stores. We are proud of our eighty year heritage and reputation, and strive to maintain a level of customer satisfaction that is second to none. We employ a dedicated, loyal, professional staff of sixty people, some of whom have been with us for over thirty-five years.
Johnson's also excels in the maintenance and large commercial painting market. All of our locations cater to contractors, building maintenance accounts, as well as retail customers. We have a tremendous in-stock inventory, custom paint and matching, and in most cases, same-day delivery. Our Boston, Waltham, Portsmouth (NH) and Portland stores have an in house color consultant to aid in the selecting of just the right color for your home or office.
Much has changed since John A. Johnson first opened the doors of his paint store, but his principle of good, friendly, old-fashioned customer service is still in vogue. He used to say, "Give people a good, honest value for their dollar, make sure they leave with a smile on their face and they will always come back."
True then, and it is still true today.